This intensive RCN accredited travel health course for new practice nurses is delivered over a full day by an experienced advanced nurse practitioner and expert speaker. The course provides current, valuable information about travel health and gives an excellent insight into the role of the practice nurse and the skills required to safely deliver a travel health programme.
Travel health is a vital role for the practice nurse and this course is ideal for the nurse new to practice nursing or a nurse hoping to make the transition into primary care.
All delegates are issued a practice nurse manual, and certificates of attendance from the RCN and Practice Nurse Training. Lunch and refreshments are provided.
This course can be taken as a standalone day or as part of our RCN accredited three day Introduction to Practice Nursing Course. For more details please click here
For details of the Travel Health day course see below
1. Describe the principles underpinning travel health practice
2. Locate key resources for travel health practice, specifically RCN competenceframework
1. Summarise key information to be obtained during a risk assessment
2. List the factors that may alter health risks for international travellers Teaching/learning activity
• interactive presentation • card activity to focus on individualising risk
1. Discuss the route of transmission of each VPD
2. Consider which travellers are at particular risk of the VPDs Teaching/learning activity
1. Recalls how vaccination is used to protect travellers for each VPD Teaching / learning activity
1. Identify common non VPD risks for travellers
2. Select non VPD advice as part of risk assessment for individual travellers
1. Discuss the risks of malaria and the protective approaches a traveller can take
2. Select suitable chemoprophylaxis based on the travellers destination and medical history TLA:
1. Identifies skills that will support a successful consultation
2. Lists how a pre-travel consultation maybe structured.
1. Take accurate history, undertake risk assessment based on all the information they gathered and advise the traveller: VPD plus schedule any vaccines, malaria prevention and advice.